Easy Chicken Soup
- 1 (3-to 4-pound) chicken, cut into pieces
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, halved
- 3 carrots, cut into pieces
- 3 celery ribs, cut into pieces
- 1 head garlic, halved crosswise
- 1/2 a bunch parsley
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- About 10 cups water
- 3/4 cup broken angel hair pasta
- Chopped cilantro
- Season chicken with salt. Heat oil in a 4-to 5-quart heavy pot over medium high heat until hot. Brown chicken in batches, about 6 minutes per batch, transferring to a bowl when browned. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat from pot, then add onion, carrots, celery, and garlic to fat in pan and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken back to pot along with any juices in bowl, parsley, and peppercorns and add just enough water to cover chicken. Bring stock to a simmer, skimming if necessary, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Strain stock and shred meat, discarding bones and vegetables. Place meat and stock back in pot and bring to a boil. Stir in noodles and boil until noodles are cooked, about 4 minutes. Season soup with salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve hot.