- 400g lentil peas
- 1kg cornmeal
- 500ml vegetable oil
- 1 pk vegetable soup mix
- 150g golden raisins
- 150 black raisins
- 150g pitted olives
- 100g capers
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 head garlic
- 1 large onion
- 1 bundle celery
- 2 bundles chives
- 10 pimentos
- 1 bundle spanish thyme
- 1 bundle fine thyme
- 2 tbsp chili flakes
- 1 tbsp roucou
- 2 bay leaves
- salt to taste
- Add oil to heated pan.
- Add aromatics (garlic, geera, Pimento, red pepper flakes/hot pepper, fine thyme, celery stalks). Cook for 1 min.
- Add tomato paste, roucou and bayleaf. Cook for 3 mins.
- Add Lentils and water. Add salt to taste. Allow to cook for 15 mins.
- The chopped golden raisins should be mixed into the cooked peas, then the black raisins.
- Turn off heat.
- Capers and chopped olives next, also using some of the brine.
- Add fresh seasoning and stir.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Add oil to pot and aromatics. Allow to cook for 5 mins.
- Add vegetable soup mix and 2 litres of water. Allow to cook until thickened, about 10 – 15 mins.
- Add oil and roucou. Stir.
- Add salt.
- Strain broth.
- Mix cornmeal into warm broth, slowly to prevent lumps.
- Lay a sheet of foil. Place banana leaf on top of foil.
- Spread a layer of cornmeal onto the banana leaf, into rectangular shape. Cornmeal mix should only be place on the leaf.
- Add lentil mix. Fold leaf in half and seal the ends using the foil.
- Pastelles should be steamed for 40 mins.